Eden’s Markets are a few in of over 300 markets taking part in the national Love Your Local Market campaign inspired by Mary Portas’ report on the future of our High Streets.
Love Your Local Market fortnight takes place between 23 June - 8 July 2012 and is being backed by Central Government, the Markets Alliance and individuals such as market trader and Apprentice semi finalist Adam Corbally.
The campaign aims to attract new market traders and also aims to highlight the importance that markets play in the heart of the local community, not only for retail but they are a valuable community asset and, in many places, provide the focal point of our town centres.
To support the national campaign here in Eden we have a wonderful array of markets with a varied selection of Eden’s best producers. Markets happening in the Love your Local Market fortnight are:
Penrith – Weekly Tuesday Market
Appleby – Weekly Saturday Market
Pooley Bridge – Monthly Farmers Market – Last Sunday of the Month
But, don’t forget your other local markets:
Orton – Monthly Farmers Market – Second Saturday of the Month
Penrith – Monthly Farmers Market – Third Tuesday of the Month
Brough – Monthly Farmers Market – Third Saturday of the Month
Plus, its competition time! Eden District Council is asking budding photographers to enter the ‘Local Market Photography Competition’. Three winners will have their images published and first prize will win a hamper of Local Farmers Market produce.
To enter you must send a low resolution image to email@example.com with your name, email address, telephone number and name of the market attended before 8July 2012. Winners will be contacted by 13th July 2012. Full terms and conditions are available at www.eden.gov.uk/Markets.
Graham Wilson, Chief Executive of the National Association of British Markets Authorities says "This is the biggest national markets event for a generation and there is a real opportunity for markets to show what they can do for job creation and bringing town centres to life."
Notes to the Editor
For more information contact the Communication Officer at Eden District Council telephone 01768 212137.
• For more information about the background of the Love Your Local Market campaign visit : www.loveyourlocalmarket.org.uk
• The official Twitter site for the campaign is: @loveurlocalmkt & the hashtag is #loveyourlocalmarket
• The official Facebook site for the campaign is: www.facebook.com/loveyourlocalmarket
• The Markets Alliance comprises of NABMA, Association of Town Centre Management, FARMA and Country Markets in collaboration with the National Market Traders Federation, the Local Government Association and the National Association of Local Councils
• For further information about Nabma (National Association of British Markets Authorities) visit www.nabma.com or email Graham Wilson on firstname.lastname@example.org