We are responsible for the cleaning of all public roads in the district, with the exception of the M6 motorway. A total of 1,760km of highways are cleaned by us. We also empty litter bins within the District. We are also responsible for cleaning car parks and other open spaces that we own in the district.
All towns and villages are cleansed on a frequency basis, the most urban areas being cleansed at the highest frequency.
If areas require additional cleaning we do this to ensure that we comply with Environmental Protection Act 1990. We also clean all other public roads when required to comply with the Environmental Protection Act 1990.
Environmental Protection Act Litter Zones
Environmental Protection Act Litter Zones (PDF: 52Kb / pages)
The Environmental Protection Act has introduced new standards for street cleaning and the cleanliness of public open places. From 1 April 1991 local authorities and other specified landowners are expected to ensure that certain types of land are kept clear of litter and refuse.
What we will clean:
- Clean town centres
- Clean main roads
- Clean other rural roads
- Remove accumulations of rubbish from Council land
- Empty litter bins
- Help with your locally organised clean-ups
You can help us by:
- Being tidy with your litter and chewing gum
- Using the free refuse tips
- Having waste collection contracts for your business
- Not leaving your dog's mess for others
- Not "Fly Posting" - it's untidy and illegal
- Not parking where you want us to clean
- Telling us of your concerns by either
For further information:
- Contact: Contracts Team, Mansion House, Penrith CA11 7YG
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 01768 817817
- Fax: 01768 890732