Accessibility options:
Eden District Council
Search our Site

Rights of Way

A right of way is legally a highway and anyone can use them at any time. There are different types of rights of way some you can walk on while others you can ride, cycle or drive a vehicle on. For further information see GOV.UK's web page 'rights of way and accessing land'.

With the introduction of the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 (CROW), you can walk freely on mapped areas of mountain, moor, heath, down and registered common land without having to stick to paths. For further information see GOV.UK's web page 'open access land: management, rights and responsibilities'.

Rights of way definitive map

Cumbria County Council are the Highway Authority responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the Public Rights of Way network in Cumbria. You can view the most up to date version of the Definitive Map, along with answers to the most frequently asked questions, on their website.

To report a problem with the public Rights of Way network or to apply for changes to the map, such as a deletion, addition or diversion of a route, contact the Countryside Access Team.

For further information

Footpath diversion orders

As a planning authority we have the power to deal with applications to divert or stop up (close) public rights of way under s.257 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 where the diversion/stopping up is to enable development which has been (or would be) granted planning permission. However, we must be satisfied that it is necessary for any path to be diverted or extinguished.

If you wish to apply for a path to be diverted under s.257 please see the guidance notes and application form below.

For further information on s.257 footpath diversion and stopping up orders

  • Contact: Legal Services
  • Email:
  • Telephone: 01768 817817
  • Address: Eden District Council, Town Hall, Penrith, Cumbria CA11 7QF
Eden Walkers

Was this page helpful?