Why are Penalty Charge Notices Issued?
Penalty Charge Notices (commonly called parking fines) are issued to motorists who do not comply with the on-street and off-street parking regulations. Restrictions are shown by 'lines and signs' on and off-street. Our 'pay and display' car parks are enforced.
The Civil Enforcement of Parking Contraventions (Guidelines on Levels of Charges) (England) Order 2007 on legislation.gov.uk website has full details of all the contraventions for which a PCN may be issued.
What happens if you receive a PCN?
- Contraventions are split into two payment bands, more serious contraventions have a full fee of £70 and less serious contraventions £50. The fee payable will be reduced if the payment is received within 14 days of issue to half for example £35 or £25.
- If payment is not received within 28 days, the registered owner of the vehicle will be sent a statutory notice, Notice to Owner document, requesting full payment £70 or £50 or a challenge must be submitted.
- If a challenge is submitted within 14 days of issue of a PCN and is not successful the early payment discount is usually re offered.
- Payment or a challenge must be received by Eden Parking Services within 28 days of the issue of the Notice to Owner, if not a Charge Certificate will be issued to the owner. The cost of the original penalty will increase by 50% and the penalty charge will be recovered through County Court.
- Eden Parking Services have the option to recover any unpaid debts by the use of bailiffs.
Note: Liability for paying the parking penalty lies with the registered owner of the vehicles, except for hire cars, when responsibility is with the hirer.
How can I pay a Penalty Charge Notice?
You can pay a PCN online, over the telephone, by post or in person at Penrith Town Hall.
What to do if I have lost my Penalty Charge Notice.
Please email Eden Parking Services with details of your car registration email@example.com
How do I appeal against a Penalty Charge Notice?
There is an Appeals Process.
Civil Parking Enforcement Guidance
The following guidance document has been prepared in respect of Civil Parking Enforcement and are intended to inform and provide guidance in the enforcement of parking regulations.
Guidance Policies for the Enforcement and Cancellation of Penalty Charge Notices (PDF: 136Kb / 26pages)