Eden District Council
Search our Site

Street Naming and Numbering Address Allocation in Eden

We have a legal obligation to allocate house numbers/names and name roads to new developments and property conversions. We also have powers to re-name and re-number properties and streets where we consider it to be necessary. We exercise these powers under the provisions of Section 64 of the Town Improvements Clauses Act 1847 with the Extension of the Public Health Acts Amendment Act 1907.

A definitive record of all the property addresses and street names in Eden district is maintained in our 'Local Land and Property Gazetteer (LLPG)' which is used by us, the Royal Mail, all statutory undertakers, emergency services, credit agencies, satellite navigation system suppliers and many private companies.

Check if your address is registered with us

Find your postcode on Royal Mail website.

If you are unable to find your property address following the above links, it maybe that the property has not been officially registered, in this instance please contact us at the address below where we will look into the issue.

Individuals and developers should not allocate their own house numbers, building or street names as these may not be officially registered or recognised and you may be required to change your informal addressing at some later stage when the Council formally addresses the property or properties. This will cause you unnecessary frustration and possibly expense which the Council will not meet.

Why Street Naming and Numbering is Important

The address of a property is very important as it is imperative that the Police, emergency services, and the general public are able to locate properties quickly and efficiently.

If a property is not 'registered' through the street naming and numbering process the address will not appear on the main address database or the Royal Mail Postcode Address File (PAF) and the owner/occupier may encounter difficulties in obtaining mail, deliveries and services from a variety of sources, for example of the location of the property by the emergency services, applying for a credit card, obtaining goods by mail order or even selling a property.

All new addresses are allocated in line with our Street Naming and Numbering Policy and British Standard 7666.

Who Should Apply?

  • Individuals or developers building new houses, apartments, commercial or industrial premises.
  • Individuals or developers undertaking conversions of residential, commercial or industrial premises which will result in the creation of new properties or premises.
  • Any person who wishes to change their existing address.

When Should You Apply?

For any new build or conversion of a property you should apply to us for address allocation once you have received planning approval. We will then contact the Royal Mail who will allocate the postcode to the approved address. Utility companies are reluctant to install services without an official address and postcode. If your request involves the naming of new streets please allow sufficient time due to the consultation process with local ward Councillor and Parish Councils.

How to Apply for a New Build or Property Conversion Address?

How to Apply for an address for an existing property which has been merged/divided?

  • Print and complete the Property Merge/Division Form (PDF: 144 Kb / 5 pages)and return to us with the correct payment (see fees and charges below)
  • Contact us on 01768 817817 and we will post the form to you.
  • Call into Mansion House or Town Hall, Penrith and pick up an application form.

For advice on street naming and numbering and choosing a street or property name please refer to the
Guidance on Street Naming and Numbering in Eden (PDF: 244 Kb / 16 pages).

Can I Change my Property Name?

You may if you wish change the registered name of a property, print and complete the Change a Property Name Form (PDF: 100 Kb / 3 pages)and return this to us for approval. However if a property is numbered you cannot remove this number, the number must remain and be displayed at the property.

Once an application to change a property name has been approved, it is the responsibility of property owners to inform their own personal contacts and of any official change or addition to address. It may take some time for statutory services to amend their records.

Can I add a Name onto my Numbered Property?

Only if a property is already officially numbered. The property owner can add a name to the existing property address as long as it does not conflict with an existing property or street name in that locality and conforms to the Councils Street Naming and Numbering Policy. To do this print, complete the Add a Property Name to a Numbered Property Form (PDF: 101 Kb / 3 pages)and return to us. The property name in this case will not officially form part of the registered property address, the property number should still be displayed and referred to in any correspondence.

What Happens if a Street needs Renaming/Renumbering?

On rare occasions it becomes necessary to re-name or re-number a street. This is usually only done as a last resort when:

  • there is confusion over a street/s name and/or numbering;
  • a group of residents are unhappy with their street name;
  • new properties are built in a street and there is a need for other properties to be re-numbered to accommodate the new properties;
  • the number of named-only properties in a street is deemed to be causing confusion for visitors and the delivery of emergency services.

Street Naming and Numbering Administration Charges

Naming Cost
New individual property

No Charge

New street

No Charge

Redevelopment of existing building


Alterations in either street name or property Numbers to new developments after initial street naming and numbering has been undertaken

£123.00 + £12.50 per property

Confirmation of postal address to solicitors or conveyancers


Existing Properties:

Change Cost
Change of house name


Adding an alias to a numbered property


Change of building name (for example a block of flats)

£41.00 + £12.50 per unit

Change of Street Name (residents request)

£225.00 + £41.00 per property

Street Numbering (residents request - where no numbering system exists)

£225.00 + £41.00 per property

Sub division of property or merge of properties (charge only Applicable when owner/occupier applies for permission for the Sub-division)

£41.00 + £12.50 per unit

Guidance Notes

For full information of what is acceptable for street naming and numbering applications please see:
the Guidance on Street Naming and Numbering in Eden (PDF: 244 Kb / 16 pages).

Application Forms

For New Builds or Conversions of Properties, properties not previously registered:

Street Nameplates

Please refer to Guidance on Street Naming and Numbering in Eden (PDF: 244 Kb / 16 pages)

For Further Information:

  • Contact: Street Naming and Numbering
  • Address: Eden District Council, Mansion House, Friargate, PENRITH CA11 7YG
  • Telephone: 01768 817817
  • Email: snn@eden.gov.uk
geoplace exemplar awards 2015 Gold Performance Awards for Address Data 2015 Eden District Council

Was this page helpful?