The following are typical building works that you may carryout around your home, which will require approval:
- Home extensions (eg Kitchen, Bedroom).
- Certain Porches and Conservatories.
- Loft Conversions.
- Structural alterations, such as the removal of a load-bearing wall or chimney breast.
- Installation of bathrooms, showers, which involve new drainage or waste plumbing.
- New windows in walls or roof.
- Replacement / Recovering of Roofs.
- Replastering / Re-rendering of walls.
- Replacement floors.
- Installation of cavity insulation.
- Installation of an un-vented hot water storage system.
- Underpinning of foundations.
- The change of use to form a dwelling (flat or house).
- Converting one dwelling into two or more, or converting two or more dwellings into less.
- Conversion of a dwelling into holiday letting accommodation.
- The change of use of an integral garage to a habitable room.
- The installation of a wind turbine which is attached to the building.
- The installation of photovoltaic or solar panels.
- Works involving the underpinning of a building.
- Notifiable electrical work if carried out by an electrician not registered with an applicable Competent Persons Scheme.
- Replacement windows and doors if the work is not carried out by a contractor registered with an applicable Competent Persons Scheme.
The Planning Portal website has an interactive house which you can use to see if your work needs approval.
The overall aim of the Building Regulations is to ensure that buildings are safe, weatherproof, protected against fire, have adequate drainage and in the case of certain buildings they are accessible to all.
For further information
Contact: Building Control
Address: Eden District Council, Mansion House, Penrith, Cumbria CA11 7YG
Telephone: 01768 817817
Fax: 01768 212320