Eden District Council
Search our Site

Street naming and numbering address allocation in Eden

We have a legal obligation to allocate house numbers/names and name roads to new developments and property conversions. We also have powers to re-name and re-number properties and streets where we consider it to be necessary. We exercise these powers under the provisions of Section 64 of the Town Improvements Clauses Act 1847 with the Extension of the Public Health Acts Amendment Act 1907 and section 17, 18 and 19 of the Public Health Act 1925.

A definitive record of all the property addresses and street names in Eden district is maintained in our 'Local Land and Property Gazetteer (LLPG)' which is used by us, the Royal Mail, all statutory undertakers, emergency services, Land Registry, Ordnance Survey, Valuation Office, credit agencies, satellite navigation system suppliers and many private companies.

Check if your address is registered with us

Find your postcode on Royal Mail website.

If you are unable to find your property address using the above links, it maybe that the property has not been officially registered or is registered with a different address, in this instance please contact us at the address below where we will look into the issue.

Individuals and developers should not allocate their own house numbers, building or street names as these will not be officially registered or recognised and you may be required to change your informal addressing at some later stage when the Council formally addresses the property or properties. This will cause you unnecessary frustration and possibly expense which the Council will not meet.

Why Street Naming and Numbering is Important

The address of a property is very important as it is imperative that the Police, emergency services, and the general public are able to locate properties quickly and efficiently.

If a property is not 'registered' through the street naming and numbering process the address will not appear on the national address database (NLPG) or the Royal Mail Postcode Address File (PAF) and the owner/occupier may encounter difficulties in obtaining mail, deliveries and services from a variety of sources, for example, locating the property by the emergency services, applying for a credit card, obtaining goods by mail order or even selling a property.  You will not be able to apply for service connections by Utilities Companies to a new property or conversion until you have received statutory notification of the address from the Street Naming and Numbering department.

All new addresses are allocated in line with our Street Naming and Numbering Policy, National Address Conventions and British Standard 7666.

Who Should Apply?

  • Individuals or developers building new streets, new houses, apartments, commercial or industrial premises.
  • Individuals or developers undertaking conversions of residential, commercial or industrial premises which will result in the creation of new properties or premises or an alteration in address.
  • Any person who wishes to change their existing address.

When Should You Apply?

For any new build or conversion of a property you should apply to us for address allocation once you have received planning approval or before you intend to commence work. We will then contact the Royal Mail who will allocate the postcode to the approved address. Utility companies are reluctant to install services without an official address and postcode. If your request involves the naming of new streets please allow sufficient time due to the consultation process with local Parish Councils, please refer to our street naming and numbering policy below which sets out the process.

For advice on street naming and numbering and choosing a street or property name or property name change please refer to the
Guidance and Policy on Addressing Properties Street Naming and Numbering in Eden (PDF: 244 Kb / 16 pages).

How to Apply for a New Build or Property Conversion Address?

  • Print and complete the Street Name and Number Form (PDF: 88 Kb / 4 pages)and return to us.  There is no charge for the addressing of new streets, new properties or conversions of properties which do not have an address
  • Contact us on 01768 817817 and we will post the form to you.
  • Call into Mansion House or Town Hall, Penrith and pick up an application form.

How to Apply for an address for an existing property which has been merged/divided?

Can I Change my Property Name?

You may if you wish change the registered name of a property so long as this does not conflict with an existing property or street name in the area or post town, refer to the Guidance and Policy for advice, then print and complete the Change a Property Name Form (PDF: 56 Kb / 2 pages) and return this to us for approval along with the correct payment (see fees and charges below)  so that we can process the address change. If a property is numbered you cannot remove this number, the number must remain and be displayed at the property as this is the Legal address.  Once an application to change a property name has been approved, it is the responsibility of property owners to inform their own personal contacts of any official change or addition to address.  There may be some charges which you may incur when changing your address with external companies; for example you will need to change your address on your passport, driving licence, mortgage documents and any loan agreements . It may take some time for statutory services to amend their records.

Can I add a Name onto my Numbered Property?

Only if a property is already officially numbered. The property owner can add a name to the existing property address as long as it does not conflict with an existing property or street name in that locality and conforms to the Councils Guidance and Policy. To do this print, complete the Add a Property Name to a Numbered Property Form (PDF: 59 Kb / 2 pages)and return to us with the correct payment (see fees and charges below).  The property name in this case will not officially form part of the registered property address and will not appear in any official address lists.  The property number must still be displayed and referred to in any correspondence as the number only is the official legal address of the property.

What Happens if a Street needs Renaming/Renumbering?

On rare occasions it becomes necessary to re-name or re-number a street. This is usually only done as a last resort when:

  • there is confusion over a street/s name and/or numbering;
  • a group of residents are unhappy with their street name;
  • new properties are built in a street and there is a need for other properties to be re-numbered to accommodate the new properties;
  • the number of named-only properties in a street is deemed to be causing confusion for visitors and the delivery of emergency services.

Street Naming and Numbering Administration Charges

Naming Cost
New individual property

No Charge

New street

No Charge

Redevelopment of existing building


Alterations in either street name or property Numbers to new developments after initial street naming and numbering has been undertaken

£123.00 + £12.50 per property

Confirmation of postal address to solicitors or conveyancers


Existing Properties:

Change Cost
Change of house name


Adding an alias to a numbered property


Change of building name (for example a block of flats)

£41.00 + £12.50 per unit

Change of Street Name (residents request)

£225.00 + £41.00 per property

Street Numbering (residents request - where no numbering system exists)

£225.00 + £41.00 per property

Sub division of property or merge of properties (charge only Applicable when owner/occupier applies for permission for the Sub-division)

£41.00 + £12.50 per unit

Street Naming and Numbering Policy

For full information of what is acceptable for street naming and numbering applications please see:
the Guidance and Policy on Addressing Properties Street Naming and Numbering in Eden (PDF: 235 Kb / 20 pages)

Street Nameplates

Please refer to Guidance and Policy on Addressing Properties Street Naming and Numbering in Eden (PDF: 235 Kb / 20 pages)

Application Forms

For New Builds or Conversions of Properties, properties not previously registered or to apply to change a property name:

For Further Information:

  • Contact: Street Naming and Numbering
  • Address: Eden District Council, Mansion House, Friargate, PENRITH CA11 7YG
  • Telephone: 01768 817817
  • Email: snn@eden.gov.uk

Was this page helpful?