Street Collections are covered by Section 5 of the Police, Factories, etc (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1916, as amended by Section 251 and Schedule 29 of the Local Government Act 1972.
Eden District Council adopted regulations and imposed conditions with respect to the places where, and the conditions under which, persons may be permitted in any street or public place within Eden District to collect monies or sell articles for the benefit of charitable or other philanthropic causes.
For the purpose of determining an application for a Street Collection Permit, the District shall be divided into the following zones:
- Appleby and Kirkby Stephen
- M6 Services northbound and southbound at Southwaite
- M6 Services northbound and southbound at Tebay
- Anywhere within the District not falling within zones 1 to 5
- No organisation shall be granted more than two permits per year per zone.
- Each permit shall specify a single zone in which the permitted collection shall take place.
- No more than one collection shall be permitted in each zone per day.
- Street Collection Permits shall be issued only to local charitable bodies which directly benefit the population of the District and registered charities.
- Where the grant of a permit would be contrary to paragraphs 2 to 5 above and the applicant believes that the circumstances of their application justify the grant of a permit, the applicant shall be able to request that their application be considered by the Licensing Committee. When considering such an application, the committee may simply deal with the individual application or may, at its discretion, grant an organisation an exemption from any of the provisions of this policy subject to such conditions as it considers appropriate.
Regulations and Application Form
Application for a Street Collection Permit should be made to the Council at least one month before the proposed date of collection using the form below. Regulations are also available to download.
For further information
- Contact: Licensing Team, Town Hall, Penrith, CA11 7QF
- Office Hours:
Monday to Thursday 8.45am to 5.15pm
Friday 8.45am to 4.45pm
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 01768 212148 or 01768 212273
- Fax: 01768 890470