Accessibility options:
Eden District Council
Search our Site

Scrap Metal Licences

Introduction to the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013

This new Act repeals the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 1964 and Motor Salvage Operators Regulation 2002 and introduces one operating licence from 1 October 2013. Local Authorities will be the main regulator of this new licence.

The new Act gives Local Authorities more powers of control, for example refusal of a licence or revocation of a licence if the dealer is considered 'unsuitable', or the operators are not abiding to the legislative requirements set out in their application. The Police and Local Authority now have powers of entry for inspection of scrap metal premises.

Main requirements of this new Act

  • Motor Salvage Operators are now included;
  • There is now a requirement for all metal dealers to complete appropriate applications and disclosures and satisfy their local authority that they are genuine traders;
  • All applicants of the licence must now apply for a Basic Disclosure Certificate. Applications can be made online through Disclosure Scotland (opens new window). All named people on the application form must apply and provide us with a certificate; this would include the site manager and director;
  • All sellers of metal must provide ID at point of sale which is recorded and retained by the scrap metal dealer. This may be inspected by the Police and Local Authority at any time;
  • Cash must no longer be given as payment for scrap metals. Sellers must be paid by BACS or cheque (or another electronic traceable method). This will now apply to all collectors of scrap metal;
  • There will be two licences available: a site licence or a collector's licence. Please see the table at the bottom of this page for the cost of these licences.

Fees from 1 October 2013

Licence Fee from 1 October 2013
Site Licence (3 years)


Collector's Licence (3 years)


Variations to the licence (per variation)


How to apply

Complete the scrap metal licence application form (PDF: 247Kb / 12 pages)or alternatively call 01768 212490 to request an application pack. When you return your application please include all Disclosure Certificates and the relevant fee to the address below.

For further information:

  • Contact: Community Warden
  • Email:
  • Telephone: 01768 817817
  • Fax: 01768 890732
  • Address: Eden District Council, Mansion House, Penrith, Cumbria CA11 7YG
Cars stacked two high at scrap metal yard

Was this page helpful?