Accessibility options:
Eden District Council
Search our Site

Scrap Metal Licences

Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013

The Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 repeals the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 1964 and Motor Salvage Operators Regulation 2002 and introduces one operating licence. Local Authorities will be the main regulator of this new licence.

Under the Act, we can, for example: refuse a licence or revocation of a licence if the dealer is considered 'unsuitable', or not abiding to the requirements set out in their application. Together with the Police we have powers of enter and inspect all scrap metal premises in Eden.

Main requirements of the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013

  • Motor Salvage Operators are now included;
  • There is now a requirement for all metal dealers to complete appropriate applications and disclosures and satisfy their local authority that they are genuine traders;
  • All applicants of the licence must now apply for a Basic Disclosure Certificate. Applications can be made online through Disclosure Scotland (opens new window). All named people on the application form must apply and provide us with a certificate; this would include the site manager and director;
  • All sellers of metal must provide ID at point of sale which is recorded and retained by the scrap metal dealer. This may be inspected by the Police and Local Authority at any time;
  • Cash must no longer be given as payment for scrap metals. Sellers must be paid by BACS or cheque (or another electronic traceable method). This will now apply to all collectors of scrap metal;
  • There will be two licences available: a site licence or a collector's licence. Please see the table below for the cost of these licences.


Licence Fees
Site Licence (3 years)


Collector's Licence (3 years)


Variations to the Licence (per variation)


How to apply for a scrap metal dealers licence

Complete the scrap metal licence application form (PDF: 247Kb / 12 pages)or alternatively call 01768 212490 to request an application pack. When you return your application please include all Disclosure Certificates and the relevant fee to the address at the bottom of this page.

Applicants will be asked to provide a form of identification, such as passport or photo driver's licence to prove their full name and address. All applicants must also hold a valid permit from the Environment Agency to transfer waste (Upper Tier Waste Carrier's licence). Before a licence is issued all applicants are asked to attend a meeting with the officer dealing with their form to ensure they are competent in applying the requirements of the legislation while operating their business.

Useful links:

For further information:

  • Contact: Senior Community Warden
  • Email:
  • Telephone: 01768 212490
  • Fax: 01768 890732
  • Address: Eden District Council, Mansion House, Penrith, Cumbria CA11 7YG
Cars stacked two high at scrap metal yard

Was this page helpful?