It seems you are using Internet Explorer 6 (or maybe you just have css disabled). We no longer guarantee that our site will display as intended in this browser.
Accessibility options:
Eden District Council
Search our Site

Personal Licences

What is a personal licence?

A personal licence allows an individual to authorise the sale or supply of alcohol. All premises with a premises licence will need at least one personal licence holder where one of their activities is the sale or supply of alcohol. It is valid for 10 years and is portable throughout England and Wales.

What is a Designated Premises Supervisor?

A Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) is the person named on the premises licence (not necessarily the applicant) who is singularly responsible for the running of that premise. A DPS must hold a personal licence. More information is provided on the Council's Guidance on Designated Premises Supervisors - PDF 123 Kb / one page

Who needs a personal licence?

Any premises (except qualifying clubs) that sell or supply alcohol will need at least one personal licence holder, one of whom must be named on the premises licence as the Designated Premises Supervisor. There is an exception for community premises in respect of which a successful application has been made to disapply the usual mandatory conditions. More information is available on the Council's Guidance on Removal of Requirement for DPS - PDF 196Kb / 4 pages

Who can apply for a personal licence?

A personal licence holder must:

  • be aged 18 or over;
  • have not forfeited a personal licence within 5 years prior to making an application;
  • have not been convicted of any relevant or foreign offence;
  • possess an accredited licensing qualification.

What is considered an accredited licensing qualification?

For the the purpose of personal licences, the Home Secretary has accredited the following qualifications under the Licensing Act 2003: 

  1. BIIAB (QCF recognition number RN5118) Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders, Accreditation Number: 501/1494/3 Website: or telephone 01276 684 449

  2. EDI (QCF recognition number RN5134) Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders, Accreditation Number: 500/9146/3 Website: or telephone 0247 651 6500

  3. HABC (QCF recognition number RN5219)  Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders, Accreditation Number: 500/9974/7 Website or telephone 01302 363277

  4. NCFE (QCF recognition number RN5156)  Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders, Accreditation Number: 600/1323/0 Website or telephone 0191 239 8000

  5. SQA (QCF recognition number RN5167) Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders, Accreditation Number: 600/1269/9 Website or telephone 0345 279 1000

What is a relevant offence

Relevant offences are listed under Schedule 4 of the Licensing Act 2003. A full list of relevant offences is contained within the Council's Guidance on Relevant Convictions PDF 36Kb / 3 pages 

How do I apply for a personal licence?

Personal licence applications should contain the following:

  • a completed application form (form 6);
  • the appropriate fee (£37.00);
  • two passport sized photographs one of which should be endorsed on the back by a solicitor, notary, teacher, lecturer or other professional person as a true likeness;
  • disclosure of convictions and declaration form (form 8);
  • either a basic disclosure criminal conviction certificate or the results of a subject access search under the Data Protection Act 1998(b) of the Police National Computer by the National Identification Service (this should be no more than one calendar month old when received by the Council);
  • accredited Licensing Qualification Certificate (see details above).

Basic criminal record checks can be obtained from Disclosure Scotland. You may apply online or request an application form from the licensing team. Subject access forms can be obtained from the data protection department of Cumbria Police or ring 101.

A duplicate copy of the application package does not need to be sent to the Chief Officer of the Police. However, if relevant offences are declared, the Licensing Authority will inform the Police who may raise representations against the issue of a licence.

Who can object to a personal licence application?

Only the Police can object and only then if they feel that granting the licence would undermine the crime prevention objective in the Act. In such a case the Police must give the authority an objection notice within fourteen days.

A hearing must then be held within twenty working days beginning the day after the fourteen day period. Your application will then be decided by a licensing committee at a hearing.

What happens if there are no objections?

If there are no objections and the applicant fulfils the application criteria, the application will be granted.

Licensing Register

The Council is required by law to maintain a register containing details of various licences issued. This register can be viewed online or can be viewed at the Town Hall, Penrith during normal office hours. If you notice any apparent error or omission in the register, or if you have any query about it, please contact a member of the Licensing Team.

Online Register

For further information:

  • Contact: Licensing Team, Town Hall, Penrith, CA11 7QF
  • Office Hours:
    Monday to Thursday 8.45am to 5.15pm
    Friday 8.45am to 4.45pm
  • Email:
  • Telephone: 01768 212148 or 01768 212273
  • Fax: 01768 890470

Was this page helpful?