Under the Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963, anyone who wishes to carry on the business of providing accommodation for other people's cats and dogs must obtain a licence. Before the licence is issued, the Council must be satisfied that the premises are adequate in terms of:
- construction, size, number of occupants, exercise facilities, temperature, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness
- that animals will be adequately supplied with food and drink, bedding material, adequately exercised and visited at suitable intervals
- that adequate precautions are in place in case of infectious disease
- that adequate fire and emergency precautions are in place
- that a suitable register of animals boarded is maintained.
We have model licence conditions for boarding kennels and catteries:
It is becoming increasingly popular for individuals to carry out small-scale commercial boarding of dogs within their own home. This requires an animal boarding licence and compliance with the Council's specific model conditions for the Home Boarding of Dogs, which can be downloaded below. In all other aspects, the application and licensing process is the same as any other animal boarding establishment.
For further information:
Contact: Food, Health and Safety Team
Address: Environmental Services Section, Eden District Council, Mansion House, Penrith Cumbria CA11 7YG
Telephone: 01768 212491
Fax: 01768 890732