Eden District Council
Search our Site

Bulky household waste

Bulky household waste is freestanding furniture that will not fit into a refuse sack. Where possible you should try to make sure any bulky household waste you have is reused. Items can be advertised on Freegle, taken or collected free of charge by charities. For details of this and how to dispose of old and broken items please see below.

Can I give my furniture or white goods away so they can be reused?

Yes, you can advertise to give items away for free on Freegle. There is a Freegle in Penrith and Eden District.

Who will take furniture or white goods that can be reused?

Impact Furniture Services can collect clean, re-usable unwanted furniture and electrical goods. They then sell these on at low cost, helping residents and the environment. To donate furniture or electrical goods or to buy items, call or visit:

Eden Valley Hospice

  • Telephone: 01228 810801
  • Address: Unit 2, Madford Retail Park, Charlotte St, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA2 5BT
  • Opening Times: Monday to Saturday 9.30am to 4.30pm
  • Email:
  • Web: www.edenvalleyhospice.org/support-us/our-shops

Impact Furniture Services Penrith

Impact Furniture Service Carlisle

As an alternative to the above there are also a number of other organisations that you may wish to contact


How can I get rid of damaged or broken items?

If an item is damaged or broken we can collect it from your home for a charge or you can take it to your nearest household waste recycling centre

Dispose of bulky waste for free at Household Waste Recycling Centres

Bulky household waste can be disposed of free of charge if taken to either of the household waste recycling centre at Flusco, near Penrith or Hobson Lane, Kirkby Stephen.

Bulky waste household collection scheme

We offer a bulky household waste collection service from Domestic Properties only at a cost of £23 for up to 3 items. We will collect:

  • Armchairs
  • Bed Bases
  • Bed Headboards
  • Bookcases 
  • Carpets
  • Carpet Underlay
  • Chairs
  • Chest of Drawers
  • Dressing tables
  • Gas Cookers
  • Plastic Garden Furniture
  • Wooden Garden Furniture
  • Mattresses
  • Tables
  • Three Piece Suites (=3 items)
  • Wardrobes

Bulky household waste collection will not collect electrical appliancesgarden waste, builder's rubble or fixtures and fittings.

To book a bulky waste collection

Bulky household waste collection must be pre-booked either completing the bulky waste collection request online form or contacting us on the details below:

All collections must be pre-booked. Collection of bulky items is generally on a Monday and a firm collection date will be provided, when you place your order. Collections undertaken following public holidays will be one day later than usual. All items need to be outside the property at the kerbside, if there is sufficient room to do so.

Electrical Appliance collection

There is a separate collection for fridges, freezers, televisions, electrical cookers and computer monitors at a cost of £23 per item for further details see appliance collection.

Was this page helpful?