Accessibility options:
Eden District Council
Search our Site

Accident reporting

All accidents at work, however minor the injury, should be recorded in the accident book in your workplace. Accident books can be ordered from HSE books - the newest version of the accident book complies with the requirements of the Data Protection Act.

Reporting serious accidents or incidents

Certain injuries, diseases and "dangerous occurrences" - events which do not cause injury but are potentially very serious - must be reported to the enforcing authority under The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 (RIDDOR).

RIDDOR on the Health and Safety Executive website has details of what is included in the various categories. But, to summarise, the following must be reported:

  • Deaths (of employees or members of the public)
  • Major injuries (such as fractures and amputations)
  • Members of the public taken to hospital
  • Accidents causing injury lasting more than 7 days.
  • Serious diseases or medical conditions caused by work, such as occupational asthma.
  • Dangerous occurrences such as electrical short circuits causing fire or explosion.

How to report an accident


Complete the appropriate online report form listed on the website. The report will then be submitted directly to the RIDDOR database. You will receive a copy for your records.


All incidents can be reported online but a telephone service remains for reporting fatal and major injuries only - call the Incident Contact Centre on 0845 300 9923 (opening hours Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5pm)

Reporting out of hours

The HSE and local authority enforcement officers are not an emergency service.
More information on when, and how, to report very serious or dangerous incidents, can be found by visiting the HSE out of hours web page. If you want to report less serious incidents out of normal hours, you can always complete an online form.

If you have any queries about RIDDOR reporting the officers of the Food, Health and Safety team will be pleased to help you.

All reports are passed to the Local Authority (if they are the enforcing authority for your business) or the Health and Safety Executive as appropriate.

Which accidents should be reported to RIDDOR

To be reportable under RIDDOR, the accident needs to be connected with a work activity. This could mean that the work itself led to the injury, or there was a defect or hazard within the premises. If the injury or incident had nothing to do with the work or premises (such as a customer walking into a shop and having a heart attack) there is no need to report it. If in any doubt, it is always better to report than not!

Deaths, major injuries, public taken to hospital and dangerous occurrences must be reported immediately by telephone, fax or on the internet.

Other categories must be reported within 10 days.

For Further Information:

  • Contact: Food, Health and Safety Team, Mansion House, Penrith CA11 7YG
  • Telephone: 01768 212491
  • Email:
  • Fax: 01768 890732

Was this page helpful?