Eden District Council
Search our Site

Food Premises Registration

Food premises do not currently require a licence to trade in food. However, under Regulation (EC) No 852/2004 Article 6(2), food business operators must register food establishments under their control with the local environmental health department. Food establishments include market stalls, delivery vehicles and other moveable structures.

Registration enables us to keep an up-to-date list of all premises operating in Eden. All premises are subject to an inspection by an Environmental Health Officer from our Food, Health and Safety Team. The frequency of the visits will depend on the type of business.

Who needs to register?

Anyone running a food business must tell the Council about any premises used for storing, selling, distributing or preparing food. Food premises include restaurants, hotels, cafes, shops, supermarkets, staff canteens, kitchens in offices, warehouses, guest houses, delivery vehicles, market and other stalls, hot dog and ice cream vans and so on.

Market stalls and mobile vendors such as ice cream or burger vans must be registered with the local authority in whose area the vehicle is ordinarily kept. Once the establishment has undertaken this process with its registering authority it should not be asked to register with any further food authorities in whose area it trades. However, any food authority can undertake an intervention, inspection or appropriate enforcement action at any mobile establishment that trades within its area.

Food Premises Registration Form

Anyone starting a new food business must register with the local authority at least 28 days before doing so. The Eden District Council registration form is available below.

Application for the registration of Food Business Establishment (PDF: 27Kb / 1 page) Establishment (Regulation (EC) No 852/2004 on the Hygiene of Foodstuffs, Article 6(2))

There are no specific exemptions from the requirement for "food business" establishments to be registered. However, registration is not required for primary production for private or domestic use or for domestic preparation, handling or storage of food for private domestic consumption.

It is not necessary to register if food is being handled at a one off event or if food is prepared only occasionally for coffee mornings or charity functions, for example. The law says that to be considered a "food business", there needs to be a certain continuity of activities and a certain degree of organisation. The Food Standards Agency has published guidance for village halls, community and charity groups on how food hygiene legislation applies and whether there is a need to register as a food business.

Most childminders will be covered by food hygiene regulations and will need to register their food business establishment but some who operate from domestic premises may not need to. It depends whether they provide snacks or meals for the children in their care. The Food Standards Agency has produced guidance for childminders at domestic premises which explains how to determine if registration is required.

Bed and breakfast accommodation with less than three letting bedrooms was previously exempt, but changes in the law now mean they have to be registered.

How to register

By filling in an Application Form for Registration of Food Premises. Registration cannot be refused and there is no charge. The registration form must be sent to the local authority in whose area the food premises are located.

When completing the application all the boxes which apply to the business must be ticked, all the questions answered and all the information requested must be given. It is an offence to give information which you know is false.

What happens to the information given on the form?

The Council will enter the details on its Public Register. This contains the name of the food business, address of the food business establishment and the particulars and nature of the food business. A copy of the list or any entry on it may be provided to anyone who makes a request for such information. Copies of the registration details may be forwarded to other competent authorities such as the local Trading Standards Department.

What about changes?

Once registered with the local authority, food business operators must ensure that the local authority always has up-to-date information on their food business establishment and must notify the authority of any significant change of activity or closure. Any change in operator of the food business must be made by the new food business operator.

For further information

  • Contact: Food, Health and Safety Team
  • Email: env.health@eden.gov.uk
  • Telephone: 01768 212491
  • Fax: 01768 890372
  • Address: Environmental Services Section, Eden District Council, Mansion House, Penrith, Cumbria CA11 7YG

Was this page helpful?