- Aluminium foil must go into special foil banks and not into the can banks.
- Clean foil before recycling.
- Foil milk bottle tops, tops of cartons, baking and freezer trays, kitchen foil, cigarette and tobacco foil (without the backing paper) can all go into the special foil banks.
Please do not place metalised plastic, such as crisp packets or tea bag packets into the Foil Banks.
- All drinks cans and food tins can go in together (aluminium and steel).
- Please wash out food tins, but you don't need to remove the labels if you don't want to.
- Aerosols can go in to the can banks as long as they're completely empty and any plastic lids are removed.
Steel and aluminium cans are sorted using a magnet. The cans are melted down in a furnace and the finished ingots are rolled into thin sheets, which are then made into brand new cans and tins.
- Glass bottles and jars only please.
- Please wash out jars and remove bottle tops and corks.
- There is no need to remove labels as these are burnt off in the furnace.
- Bottles with a coloured coating can be recycled, as this will be burnt off in the furnace. To find out the original colour of the bottle, check the top where the cap was.
Please do not put in any Pyrex, milk bottles, plate glass, ceramics or light bulbs
Paper and card
All types of paper and card can go into the paper banks, including: newspapers,magazines, envelopes, junk mail, telephone directories, yellow pages, catalogues, old greetings cards, cardboard, card packaging (for example: cereal packets).
Please remove any polystyrene, plastic inserts or wrappers first.
Please do not put cartons in with paper and card. Eden District Council have never recycled cartons, a private contractor provided this service, however for commercial reasons this has now ceased.
- Plastic bottles of all kinds and plastic containers, trays and so on can go in the 'plastic bottle' bank.
- Please try to wash and squash your plastic first.
- Please remove bottle tops first and put them in the 'plastic bottle' compartment to.
- Please do not put polystyrene, plastic bags/wrapping in the bank.
Please remember to wash and squash!
Plastics are recycled into a variety of different products, including garden and street furniture and drain pipes.
- You can place any clean dry clothing, footwear and household textiles into a clothing and shoe bank
- Please put items into plastic carrier bags before placing in the textile banks (all plastic bags will be recycled).
- Tie pairs of shoes together.
- Rags can go in the textile banks, but please put them into separate bags and clearly label them 'rags'.
PLEASE do not put in any pillows, duvets, cushions, wellington boots, odd shoes or dirty, wet or stained clothes. These items are not recyclable.
Please remove all coat hangers before placing items in the Textiles Bank.
Can't find the item you want to recycle above?
If you can't see the item you want to recycle above please see A to Z of waste.
- Be considerate to nearby residents and use the recycling banks during daylight hours.
- Help to keep recycle points clean and tidy. Take empty bags home with you where they can be disposed of properly.
- Try to combine trips to the recycle point with other journeys, such as going shopping or to school. This way the environmental impact of the journey is kept to a minimum.
For details of locations of recycle points in Eden see 'recycle points'.
For further information:
- Contact: Contracts Officer
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 01768 817817
- Fax: 01768 890732
- Address: Eden District Council, Mansion House, Penrith, Cumbria CA11 7YG