It seems you are using Internet Explorer 6 (or maybe you just have css disabled). We no longer guarantee that our site will display as intended in this browser.
Accessibility options:
Eden District Council
Search our Site

Investigation procedure for reported incidents

Following your report of fouling, straying or excessive barking, one of our Community Wardens will contact you to discuss the details of the incident and advise you of what action we can take. Reports are treated confidentially and the details are not given to the owner of the dog. However please be aware that the Council will not respond to anonymous complaints as it also allows the investigating officer to contact you for further information, or to see if the situation has improved.

Initially an informal approach to the person responsible for the dog is usually made. This could be a visit from one of our Community Wardens or a letter to the owner advising them that a report has been received and recommending that they ensure certain actions are undertaken to remedy the problem.

Our Community Wardens will also usually carry out regular patrols of the area to monitor the situation. You may also be asked to keep a record of any further incidents. This record may be required as evidence if more formal action has to be taken at a later date.

Where excessive barking has been reported, one of the Community Wardens and an Environmental Health Officer will usually make 3 or more visits to assess the extent of the problem and judge whether it represents a statutory nuisance.

If a statutory nuisance is confirmed and the problem persists, then a Notice can be served upon the dog’s owner requiring that the issue be stopped.

There are some occasions where we are unable to take any action, particularly where the problem is intermittent or not judged to be a statutory nuisance.

You will be informed in writing when we have concluded our investigations of the reported issue.

For Further Information:

  • Contact: Environmental Protection admin team
  • Email:
  • Telephone: 01768 212490
  • Fax: 01768 890732
  • Address: Eden District Council, Mansion House, Penrith, Cumbria CA11 7YG

Was this page helpful?