It seems you are using Internet Explorer 6 (or maybe you just have css disabled). We no longer guarantee that our site will display as intended in this browser.
Accessibility options:
Eden District Council
Search our Site

Frequently asked questions about dogs

Where can I get dog welfare advice?

All dog owner have a legal responsibility to make sure their dogs needs are met. Advice on dog welfare and dog owner responsibilities can be provided by our Community Warden, a vet or the RSPCA.

What should I do if my neighbours' dog barks excessively?

In the first instance you should approach your neighbour to discuss the situation. Your neighbour may not even be aware that there is a problem. If this doesn't resolve the problem you can contact one of our Community Wardens to discuss the issue.

Does my dog need identification?

Yes. Your dog must wear a collar with a tag (showing the owner's address and telephone number) by law, unless your dog is 'working' on a farm for example. New legislation requires all dogs to be microchipped by 6 April 2016 in England. Your vet will also be able to micro chip your dog for you.

Who do I call if I have lost my dog?

As soon as possible report your dog missing by telephoning Eden District Council on 01768 817817. We keep a register of all lost and found dogs within Eden district. It is also worth informing the Police on the non-emergency number 101 and the local vets. If you live close to the border of Eden district you should also call neighbouring District/Borough Councils.

What do I do if I have found a stray dog?

If possible make sure that the dog is secure. To arrange for the dog to be collected by a Community Warden telephone 01768 817817 as soon as possible. We will take it to licensed kennels until the owner comes forward.

I would like to give an unwanted dog a home. Where do I go?

We occasionally have dogs to rehome. To enquire telephone 01768 817817 and ask for a Community Warden. You could also contact a local dog rescue centre or rescue societies such as:

What is the law regarding dog fouling?

  • You must clean up after your dog in areas that are covered by the Dog Control Order.
  • The penalty for failing to pick up after your dog is £75 (or £1,000 if you are taken to court).

What is the law regarding dogs on leads?

Dogs must be kept on a lead at all times on any land which is within 40mph (or less) traffic control zone and which is open to the air and to which the public are allowed to have access and which is one of the following:

  • all public pavements, verges and footpaths
  • our allotments
  • Penrith Castle Park
  • the cemeteries at Alston, Appleby, Gargill, Nenthead and Penrith.

For further information see the Dog Control Order.

Where are the dog exclusion zones?

Dog are excluded from the following areas:

The penalty for allowing a dog into an exclusion zone is £75 (or £1,000 if you are taken to court). For further information see the Dog Control Order.

How do I report a dangerous dog?

Dangerous dogs are the responsibility of the Police. If you think a dog is dangerous contact the Police on the non emergency number 101.

For further information:

  • Contact: Community Warden
  • Address: Mansion House, Penrith CA11 7YG
  • Telephone: 01768 212490
  • Email:
  • Fax: 01768 890732