When will we take over the maintenance of a closed churchyards?
We will take over the maintenance of closed churchyards after a request in writing from the Parish Council. This usually happens when the Parochial Church Council does not wish to continue its maintenance responsibility in accordance with the statutory procedure. In maintaining these churchyards, we make annual checks on the safety and stability of the memorials, boundaries and paths.
How many closed churchyards do we maintain?
We maintain thirteen closed churchyards that are no longer used for burial in Eden District.
The churchyards we maintain are:
- All Saints - Orton
- Christchurch - Penrith
- Matterdale (Old) Churchyard - Matterdale
- St Andrews - Penrith
- St Augustine's - Alston
- St Lawrence's - Appleby in Westmorland
- St Lawrence's - Crosby Ravensworth
- St Laurence's - Morland
- St Michael's - Appleby in Westmorland
- St Michael's - Shap
- St Patrick's - Bampton
- St Peter's - Great Asby
- St Peter's - Langwathby
For further information:
- Contact: Grounds Maintenance Contracts Officer
- Telephone: 01768 817817
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: 01768 890732
- Address: Eden District Council, Mansion House, Penrith, Cumbria CA11 7YG