Eden District Council
Search our Site

Personal Licence

What is a personal licence?

A personal licence allows an individual to authorise the sale or supply of alcohol. All premises with a premises licence will need at least one personal licence holder where one of their activities is the sale or supply of alcohol.

How long is a personal licence valid for?

Personal licences were first granted in 2005 and were valid for 10 years. Section 115 of the Licensing Act 2003 has been amended by the Deregulation Act 2015 removing the requirement to renew a personal licence with effect from 1 April 2015. Unless a personal licence is surrendered, suspended, revoked or forfeited, it has effect indefinitely. New licences are not being issued, but licences with an expiry date will continue to have effect after the expiry date. Personal licence holders have a duty to notify the licensing authority of any change in their name or address and a replacement licence will be issued on payment of the statutory fee of £10.50.

What is a Designated Premises Supervisor?

A Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) is the person named on the premises licence (not necessarily the licence holder) who is singularly responsible for the running of those premises. A DPS must hold a personal licence. More information is provided in the Guidance on Designated Premises Supervisors (PDF 57Kb / 1 page).

Who needs a personal licence?

Any premises (except qualifying clubs) that sell or supply alcohol will need at least one personal licence holder, one of whom must be named on the premises licence as the Designated Premises Supervisor. There is an exception for community premises in respect of which a successful application has been made to disapply the usual mandatory conditions. More information is available on the Guidance on Removal of Requirement for DPS (PDF 150Kb / 4 pages).

Who can apply for a personal licence?

A personal licence holder must:

  • be aged 18 or over;
  • have not forfeited a personal licence within 5 years prior to making an application;
  • have not been convicted of any relevant or foreign offence;
  • possess an accredited licensing qualification.

What is considered an accredited licensing qualification?

For the the purpose of personal licences, the Home Secretary has accredited the following qualifications under the Licensing Act 2003:

  1. BIIAB (QCF recognition number RN5118) Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders, Accreditation Number: 501/1494/3
    Website: www.bii.org or telephone 01276 684 449

  2. CIEH (QFC recognition number RN5248) Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders, Accreditation Number: 601/2104/X
    Website: www.cieh.org/ or telephone 0207 827 5800

  3. EDI (QCF recognition number RN5134) Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders, Accreditation Number: 500/9146/3
    Website: www.ediplc.com or telephone 0247 651 6500

  4. HABC (QCF recognition number RN5219) Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders, Accreditation Number: 500/9974/7
    Website www.highfieldabc.com or telephone 01302 363277

  5. LASER (QCF recognition number RN5326) Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders, Accreditation Number: 600/6446/8
    Website www.laser-awards.org.uk/ or telephone 01932 569894

  6. NCFE (QCF recognition number RN5156)  Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders, Accreditation Number: 600/1323/0
    Website www.ncfe.org.uk or telephone 0191 239 8000

  7. SQA (QCF recognition number RN5167) Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders, Accreditation Number: 600/1269/9
    Website www.sqa.org.uk or telephone 0345 279 1000

  8. IQ (QCF Recognition number RN5330) Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders, Accreditation Number: 601/4980/2
    Website www.industryqualifications.org.uk/ or telephone 01952 457 452

What is a relevant offence

Relevant offences are listed under Schedule 4 of the Licensing Act 2003. A full list of relevant offences is contained within our guidance on Relevant Convictions Personal Licences (PDF 94Kb / 3 pages).

How do I apply for a personal licence?

Personal licence applications should contain the following:

  • a completed application form (form 6);
  • the appropriate fee of £37;
  • two passport sized photographs one of which should be endorsed on the back by a solicitor, notary, teacher, lecturer or other professional person as a true likeness;
  • disclosure of convictions and declaration form (form 8);
  • either a basic disclosure criminal conviction certificate or the results of a subject access search under the Data Protection Act 1998(b) of the Police National Computer by the National Identification Service (this should be no more than one calendar month old when received by the Council);
  • accredited Licensing Qualification Certificate (see details above).

Basic criminal record checks can be obtained from Disclosure Scotland. You may apply online or request an application form from the licensing team. Subject access forms can be obtained from the data protection department of Cumbria Police or ring 101.

The Licensing Authority is required to notify the police when an applicant is found to have an unspent conviction for a relevant or foreign offence. The police may object to the application on crime prevention grounds and, in this case, the applicant is entitled to a hearing to determine the application. If there are no objections and the applicant otherwise meets the requirements, the application will be granted.

Licensing Register

The Council is required by law to maintain a register containing details of various licences issued. This register can be viewed online or can be viewed at the Town Hall, Penrith during normal office hours. If you notice any apparent error or omission in the register, or if you have any query about it, please contact a member of the Licensing Team.

Online Licensing Register

For further information:

  • Contact: Licensing Team
  • Office Hours:
    Monday to Thursday 8.45am to 5.15pm
    Friday 8.45am to 4.45pm
  • Email: admin.licensing@eden.gov.uk
  • Telephone: 01768 212148 or 01768 212273
  • Address: Eden District Council, Town Hall, Penrith, Cumbria CA11 7QF

Was this page helpful?