Eden District Council
Search our Site

Riding Establishments

Stables which hire out horses for riding or instruction must be licensed under the Riding Establishments Acts 1964 and 1970. Before a licence is granted or renewed on an annual basis, the horse and premises are subject to an inspection by a veterinary surgeon who is qualified to inspect riding establishments. Matters taken into account when licensing establishments include:

  • the suitability of the horses
  • feeding and accommodation for the horses
  • suitability and condition of saddlery
  • fire precautions
  • competency of the person operating the establishment

Apply for a riding establishment licence

To apply for a riding establishment licence or extend an existing one you must complete and return the:
Riding Establishments Application for Licence Form (PDF: 71Kb / 4 pages)

For further information:

  • Contact: Food, Health and Safety Team
  • Email: env.health@eden.gov.uk
  • Telephone: 01768 212 491
  • Address:  Environmental Services Section, Eden District Council, Mansion House, Penrith Cumbria CA11 7YG

Was this page helpful?