Councillor Debra Wicks (Conservative/Hesket Ward) is our Business Ambassador. This role seeks to help develop communication and engagement between us and the local business community.
Business and Learning Futures in Eden Event
Councillor Wicks has recently co-ordinated the organisation of the first Business and Learning Futures in Eden event which took place on 20 March 2013 at Newton Rigg College. Over 70 local businesses attended along with education providers and business support organisations, who showcased new and existing education, funding and support opportunities for local employers. Read more about the Business and Learning Futures in Eden Event.
Eden's Economic Priorities
Priorities contained in our Economic Development Plan for the next two years include:
- Implementing the Penrith Pedestrian Movement project and other activities through the Vitality of Penrith Group.
- Hold popular events in Penrith town centre every year
- Review and promote regular markets through Eden towns
- Marketing the Penrith 'brand' and create a dedicated web site for Penrith
- Devising a development Plan for Phase 2 of Eden Business Park
- Work with schools and colleges and retain and develop the Newton Rigg Campus.
- Working with local employers to identify and address their needs and to support the economy (for example promotion of apprenticeships and an employers' forum).
- Developing the rural economy
Business Ambassador's role and function
To assist the Planning and Economy Portfolio Holder in acting as the appointed representative of the District Council, to understand and liaise with the business community of Eden District and to promote the Apprenticeship Grant Aid Scheme with partners.
The ability to connect with all parts of the business community and partners; to represent everyone fairly, and to balance local concerns with the political demands of our corporate priorities.
- To act as an advocate for the business community and promote appropriate policy responses on behalf of the business community to the Planning and Economy Portfolio Holder and Executive of the District Council.
- To promote the Council's Apprenticeship Grant Scheme amongst the business community and work with the Council's appointed Delivery Agent and partners to achieve the targets set out in the Service Level Agreement between the Council and the Delivery Agent.
- To act as promoter of the District Council policies amongst the business community and explain the rationale for the development and implementation of District Council adopted policies affecting the business community.
- To encourage the establishment of an Eden Business Forum (if supported by the local business community) and support local projects and initiatives developed by the Forum.
- Understand the complex business of local government and services provided both by the District Council and others to the business community and use this knowledge to work in partnership with a range of agencies and interests; developing local action and monitoring service standards in relation to the apprenticeship scheme and the Business Forum.
- Acquire relevant local intelligence flowing between the business community and the District Council and develop skills to analyse information which in turn can lead to the creation of new policy.
For further information:
- Contact: the Business Ambassador, Councillor Debra Wicks
- Telephone: 01768 817817
- Mobile: 07730 420155.
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: Eden District Council, Mansion House, Penrith, Cumbria CA11 7YG