Accessibility options:
Eden District Council
Search our Site

Council Tax valuation band reduction for disabled people

This scheme aims to ensure that disabled people do not pay more Council Tax because they live in a larger property than they would have needed if they were not disabled. Having a disability does not automatically entitle you to a reduction. In summary, the requirements for a reduction are that the property must be the main residence of at least one disabled person and it must have at least one of:

  • an additional bathroom or kitchen;
  • any other room (but not a toilet) which is mainly used by the disabled person; or
  • enough space for the use of a wheelchair - if the wheelchair is for outdoor use only, this will not count.

The room, or the wheelchair, must also be essential, or of major importance to the disabled person's well-being, due to the nature and extent of their disability. 'Disabled person' in this context means a person who is substantially and permanently disabled. The disabled person can be either an adult or a child and does not have to be responsible for paying Council Tax.

An extra room does not need to have been specially built, but your home will not qualify for a reduction unless the 'essential, or of major importance' test above is met. Simply rearranging rooms (for example, having a bedroom on the ground floor, rather than the first floor) is unlikely to make your home eligible for a reduction.

What reduction you may get

If your home is eligible your bill will be reduced to that of a property in the next Council Tax band down in the valuation band list. For example, a Band D property will be charged a Band C rate. Even if your property is in Band A (the lowest band) you will still receive a reduction. It will be the same in cash terms as the reductions for homes in Band B, Band C or Band D.

Apply for Council Tax valuation band reduction

To apply online complete the council tax - request valuation band reduction for a disabled person form.

Once we receive your application form, an appointment may be made to visit you at your home so that you will be able to show our representative the adaptations that have been made. After that, we will consider your application then write and inform you of the decision. You may also be required to supply additional confirmation from a doctor, occupational therapist, or social worker, that the resident needs the adaptations or facilities that you have listed. We will let you know when we contact you.

For further information:

  • Contact: Local Taxation Team
  • Address: Eden District Council, Town Hall, Penrith, Cumbria CA11 7QF
  • Telephone: 01768 810067
  • Email:
  • Fax: 01768 890470

Was this page helpful?