Accessibility options:
Eden District Council
Search our Site

Non-dependant deductions

What are non-dependant deductions?

A non-dependant is a person over 18 years of age that normally lives with the claimant other than a partner, dependant child, joint tenant or sub-tenant.

The Government assumes that the non-dependant should be making a contribution to the household expenses and therefore a deduction is made from a claimant's weekly Housing Benefit to take this contribution into account. This is known as a non-dependant deduction.

The amount of the deduction depends upon the non-dependant's age and income.

No deduction will be made if:

The claimant or partner:

  • is registered blind; or
  • is in receipt of Attendance Allowance; or
  • is in receipt of the care component of Disability Living Allowance; or
  • is in receipt of the Daily Living component of Personal Independence Payments; or
  • receives an Armed Forces Independence Payment. 

The non-dependant:

  • is normally resident elsewhere; or
  • is a full time student; or
  • is in legal custody; or
  • has been in hospital for more than six weeks; or
  • is in receipt of assessment phase Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related); or 
  • they are under 25 years old and in receipt of Income Support or JSA0;JSA (Income Based); or 
  • they are in receipt of Pension Credit; or 
  • is in receipt of a Work Based Training Allowance.

For further information:

  • Contact: Benefit Team
  • Telephone: 01768 810066
  • Email:
  • Address: Eden District Council, Town Hall, Penrith, Cumbria CA11 7QF 
  • Fax: 01768 890470

Was this page helpful?