Accessibility options:
Eden District Council
Search our Site

How to apply for Council Tax Reduction

How do I apply for a Council Tax Reduction under this scheme?

All applications must be made in writing on application forms available from Eden District Council. See benefit and reduction forms if you would like to download a form.

If you or your partner are claiming Income Support/Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based)/Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related) or Pension Credit:

  • Make sure that you tell Jobcentre Plus/The Pension Service that you wish to apply for a Council Tax Reduction. They normally send this information to us so that we can contact you to make an application.
  • An application for Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance, Pension Credit or Employment and Support Allowance through the Jobcentre Plus or Pensions Service does not count as a claim for a Council Tax Reduction.
  • If you have not heard from us within two weeks of making a claim for one of these other benefits, contact the Benefits Team immediately for an application form.  

If you are not in receipt of Income Support/Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based)/Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related) or Pension Credits you can still apply for a Council Tax Reduction.

  • This will be based on your income and your personal/family circumstances. You will need to obtain an application form from us for completion. Once we have received the completed form from you together with all the necessary information including your proof of identity we will assess your claim for a Council Tax Reduction and/or Housing Benefit.
  • If you live with a partner you should only make one application for both of you. It does not matter which of you claim unless one of you is a student.
  • If one of you is a student (and the other is not) it is the non-student who should claim, with the student being entered as your partner on the form.

If you do not provide all the information that we ask for we will not be able to work out your entitlement.

When does the Council Tax Reduction start and end?

Your Council Tax Reduction will normally start on the Monday following the date your application form is received by the Council. If you request an application form via a telephone call, letter, email or visit or during a telephone application for another benefit with the Jobcentre or the Pension Service, then as long as you return the form we send you within one month of the date it is issued, you reduction will commence from the Monday following the date the request was made to the Council. This will even apply if the claim is received on a Monday. It is therefore very important that you send the form as soon as possible, any information to go with the form can be sent separately at a later date.

If you wish your reduction to start from an earlier date then you can make a request for backdating. You can do this by either writing to us or completing the online request form for backdating Council Tax Reduction.

If your entitlement to a reduction stops due to a change in your circumstances, you will normally receive a reduction up to and including the Sunday following the date that the change occurred. You will normally receive a reduction up to and including the day before you move out.

How often do I have to re-apply for a Council Tax Reduction?

You do not have to re-apply for a reduction but you are required to inform the Council about changes in your circumstances when they arise. In addition we will be undertaking checks on applications and may write or visit you from time to time to verify the information you have provided.

For further information:

  • Contact: Benefit Team Leader
  • Email:
  • Telephone: 01768 212131
  • Fax: 01768 890470
  • Address: Eden District Council, Town Hall, Penrith, Cumbria CA11 7QF 

Was this page helpful?