What if there is a change in my circumstances?
All changes in circumstances MUST be reported to Eden District Council immediately.
It is a criminal offence not to report a change.
You have one month to tell us from the date the change occurred.
If you delay in telling us, you may lose out on benefit.
Examples of some of the changes you should tell us about are:
If you or your partner:
- start or stop receiving any benefit or income including tax or pension credits;
- start or stop work or change employment;
- have a pay rise or any other increase in income including tax credits;
- have a change in your rate of pay or the number of hours worked;
- leave the property to live elsewhere;
- are admitted, or discharged from hospital;
- have a change in the amount of childcare costs you pay.
We also need you to tell us when:
- someone leaves or joins your household;
- your family is increased by the birth of a child, or you stop receiving Child Benefit for one or more of your children;
- you gain or lose a partner (for example, marry / cohabit / separate);
- anyone living with you starts or stops receiving Income Support / Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based), starts or stops work or has an increase / decrease in income. This includes any non-dependant living with you or any person for whom you are claiming Second Adult Rebate (Council Tax Alternative Benefit).
You should write to us as soon as possible once you know about the change and tell us exactly what has changed. If you have any proof of the change you should send it with your letter (but do not delay writing to us if you are waiting for proof - you can send the proof later).
You can also call in person at the Town Hall, Penrith to report a change, but all notifications must be made in writing.
For further information:
Contact: Benefit Team Leader, Town Hall, Penrith CA11 7QF
Telephone: 01768 212131
Fax: 01768 890470