To help improve the accessibility of our website we use the ReadSpeaker XT software.
This software, when activated, will read aloud the content and links of a web page including documents in PDF and Word formats.
ReadSpeaker XT does not require any downloads, installation or plug-ins of software and works on most computers including PC/Windows, AppleMac, Linux and SUN.
ReadSpeaker XT works on most web browsers including Internet Explorer (IE), Netscape, Opera, Safari, Mozilla and Lynx.
All that is required is a live internet connection, browser and speakers (or headphones). ReadSpeaker XT will work on slower connections (33k modem and up).
How to activate ReadSpeaker XT
- Click on the "Listen" link at the top of any page or where you see the speaker symbol - a navigation frame will appear at the top of the page
- Choose an option: read text, read links or stop
- Make sure your speakers are turned on and the volume is turned up to a comfortable level.
In the following instructions, keyboard shorts cuts are shown in brackets.
Listen to pages with ReadSpeaker XT
ReadSpeaker XT can read the content of a page in two ways:
- Click on 'Read Text' (ALT + L) and all of the content will be read
- Select and highlight an area of text and click on 'Read Text' (ALT + L) and that text will be read.
There are several ways that ReadSpeaker XT allows you to navigate the site:
- navigating the site as you would without ReadSpeaker XT running
- listening and then entering a link number in the text box and hitting either enter or Go (ALT + G)
- entering a full or partial link name in the text box and hitting either enter or Go (ALT + G)
Buttons, functions and keyboard short cuts
The list below displays the button, its function and how to access it using keyboard short cuts.
Read content of page. Certain areas of text can be read by highlighting that text and clicking on Read Text. It is possible to change how it is read under 'Settings'. (Alt + T)
Reads a list of the links on the page. It is possible to change how it is read under 'Settings'. (Alt + L)
Stops reading. (Alt + X)
Goes to a link. Enter either the number, the name or part of the name of the link and click on 'Go' (ALT + G) (Alt + N)
Changes settings of ReadSpeaker XT. (Alt + I)
Shows the help page. (Alt + H)
Closes ReadSpeaker XT. (Alt + Z)